As I am sure I have complained about before, São Paulo nightlife culture has invented incredibly complex and expensive ways to control who gets in and who stays out of parties. Most social scientists that I read on Sao Paulo and in general lefitst or even cynical paulistanos would agree that this is a particularly absurd manifestation larger social strategies of class segregation. To give an example of how this works. For almost any party (i.e. any event that has a dj and a dancefloor) at a bar or club, you have to get your name on the list. Sometimes the list is just for a discount off the door price. Keep in mind door prices start at around US$15 and can go up to US$80. And drinks are separate. (In fact, São Paulo law says that you can charge admission or minimum consumption at an event, but you can't charge both). Many lists are by invitation only, or reach capacity days before the event. There are regular lists and VIP lists. Usually, VIPs or convidados (invited guests) pay less or nothing. To have to pay would mean that you are not cool enough to be wanted by the club.
All this makes me normally stay at home. Yesterday, however, I put my name on the list for a party that I have heard good things about: Voodoohop. It is known as a more underground, democratic party, where the cover is usually US$6-10. This month, they have a really creative system for the list and cover. The party is being called a "Prisoners' Dilemma" and the cover charge will work on a modified version of the classic decision-making game. Every person who puts their name on the list has the option to ask for a "Courtesy Invite" for the event. If no one asks the for the courtesy invite, everyone pays R$10 (US$5.35 this week). If under 15 percent ask for the courtesy invite, they will go in free, and the other majority will pay R$15. If over 15 percent of the people ask for the courtesy invite, everyone will pay R$25. I thought this was a very creative way of burlesquing the whole list system. Usually so entrenched in modes of distinction, this requires people think about working together.
We'll see how well that works. If I end up actually going, I will let people know.
I also just signed up for Voodoohop... vamos?
ReplyDeleteupdate on aiala and my conversation over coffee. no one is going to voodoohop after all. frowny face.
ReplyDelete