So, one of the things that we anthropologists try to figure out is how certain categories are understood by the communities in which we work and how they enable and constrain social relations. The traditional term for this is finding out the "native categories." There are tons of critiques of working through native categories and the idea that understanding the meanings of certain concepts unlocks indigineous understandings, etc. But let's leave that aside for now. One of the largest challenges of engaging native categories is trying to utilize and explain them to people who have different worldviews and taxonomies without doing violence to the integrity of the original concept.
So, I have been trying to figure out exactly what the category of playboy or playboyzinho (little playboy) meant to people. I first heard it at a protest for a new metro stop in a rich neighborhood who didn't want more public transit that would bring the 'wrong type.' At this protest, I heard people shout, "Ey, playboy, vai tomar no cu." (Hey Playboy, go fuck yourself up the ass). At this point, I understood playboys to be a kind of privileged guy whose parents buy him anything he wants, and who acts like he owns the world. So, in my head, I immediately envision some kind of Monte plays tennis with Buffy type. Talk about native categories, how about my own, right.
So, I was told that it was a much more broader critique of priveleged middle class youth. (ok, so less Monte aristocratic, more braugh-style middle class culture). Flash forward, I am giving a talk on protests, aesthetics, and solidarity. I use the example of how a group who I describe as "anarchist fratboys" are learning to demasculinize and de-heteteronormativize their protest chants. Now, instead of saying "ey, [insert politician] vai tomar no cu," they say "ey, [politician] vai tomar no cum, é bom!." [Hey, politician, take it up the ass, it's good!"]. It's a good ethnographic example, except that I don't know how to translate protesters that I understand as kind of fratty (with all the masculine culture that I associate with that) into portuguese. So, I translate "anarchist fratboy" into "playboyzinho anarchista."
Needless to say, I get reamed in the comments, and, in retrospect, justly so. These anarchists are middle class, I am told, but they are hardly playboys. I think I had underestimated just how negative a connotation playboy has, especially by people who consider themselves leftists. So, now I think I have to find a new name for many of these people, who are not quite my interlocutors but ar elinked to them.
On the one hand, I have this problem of translating my own native categories (fratboy) into Portuguese and trying to understand what playboy signifies in any given situation. I want to write more (in the near future) about a problem I am having with people describing the agressors in cases of homophobic violence in terms of ideology/culture without an eye towards socioeconomics. For instance, people are very critical of skinhead attacks (rightly so) against LGBT people. But they don't recognize the class aspect of these skinheads who often come from poor neighborhoods. Likewise, I am hearing more reports of gay people in rich neighborhoods being attacked by playboys. And people have an automatic rationalization that playboys são escrotos. (Playboys are arrogant assholes). But what does it mean that these rich kids feel like they can pick on vulnerable people for enjoyment. I think there is a lot more disentangling here to do.
There's a lot here, Jay. Lots of textures of class categories interestingly interlayed with political identifications and gender identifications. But I'm curious how SEX itself figures in. If there's something instrumentalized about protest politics that plays a part in configuring which/how masculinity is being figured. I guess I'm sort of thinking about sexual advances/flirtation as being self-representational in a way that collective politics in public realms is not, and whether this is part of how anarchist fratboys' masculinity is refigured, even beyond their self-conscious confrontation with normativity...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Molly! As you can see in my next post, I develop playboy in a universe of other political/class/gender identifications.
ReplyDeleteYes, the question of eroticism is really important. Not sure I would call it sex...doesn't get to that point, hehe. So, one of the reasons that I was calling these people fratboys (which led me to playboy) in the first place was that I was behind a bunch of them with drums at one protest. They had their shirts off, were banging hard on their drums, smiling at one another and shouting things like "é minha é minha, essa porra buceta é minha" (it's mine, it's mine, this fucking pussy is mine). Keep in mind this was along with the rest of the protest, and it was about legalizing abortion. And the chant began with a group of women beside them.
So, I do think that their protest experience is erotic, and erotic in ways that other protestors can't be. Women can't take their shirts off during a protest or they would be arrested by the police. A shirtless protest of explictly public gay men would have a different semiotic and erotic valence.
Re. flirtation. This is really interesting. I have been thinking about these kinds of solidarities as forms of shared aesthetics and of pedagogical practices. (i.e. we teach you our chant, we teach you our politics). But of course pedagoy is filled with flirtation. in the experience, the student does not only take the ideas of the teacher, but plays with the possibility of becoming the teacher. I have to think more about this.